Department: Public Affairs (Communications)
Reports to: Vice President of Government Relations and Public Affairs
Location: Washington, DC
Exempt Status: Yes
Position Status: Full Time
Travel Requirements: As needed (approx. 3-5 times annually)
Director of Marketing Services
Overall Description of Position:
The Manager of Marketing Services is a NEW full-time position in our Public Affairs (Communications) department to enhance The ESOP Association’s various marketing efforts primarily through comprehensive marketing efforts that utilize all available channels and resources (email, digital ads, print, social media, etc.) The Manager of Marketing Services will draft and execute detailed marketing plans for The ESOP Association’s national events to ensure and increase their participation and growth, plus follow up surveys to events and helping fulfill event sponsorship needs. Similarly, the Manager will also support the marketing efforts of the chapter events held by our current 18 The ESOP Association (TEA) chapters nationwide and also support the efforts of the Association’s membership department in servicing and growing our membership (e.g. advertising webinars, publications, etc.) The Manager of Marketing Services will also maintain and grow the Association’s social media presence, including regular tracking and reporting in this regard. The ESOP Association (TEA) maintains its own message board system for its members, known as The HUB, and the Manager of Marketing Services will routinely update, monitor, post new content, and promote events and member services there. The Manager will also provide some of these same supports to TEA’s affiliated 501(c)(3), the Employee Ownership Foundation, including maintaining and increasing social media presence, event promotion, and data-driven reporting and analytics. The Manager of Marketing Services will collect data on each of these various efforts and report regularly to ensure a feedback loop that tracks and drives increased success.
This is an ideal position for an early-career marketing and communications professional with a breadth of knowledge and skills who wants to gain hands-on experience, help innovate and build new programs, and support our positive mission of broadening the availability of employee ownership and wealth building through equity ownership in America. Three years’ experience in marketing or communications at a national trade association or similar experience strongly preferred.
About The ESOP Association (TEA):
The ESOP Association is the oldest and largest national trade association representing companies with Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPs) and the professionals who provide services to them. An ESOP is a mechanism created under ERISA that allows the employees of a company to purchase and own the company where they work through a retirement plan in which they share ownership. Nearly 11 million American workers own part or all of the company where they work through an ESOP. That represents more American workers than the entire U.S. auto industry. There are nearly 7,000 ESOPs in America spanning every sector of the economy. However, some of the most recognizable ESOP companies include: Bob’s Red Mill, Publix Grocery Stores, Wawa, Taylor Guitars, Gore-Tex, Trex Bicycles, Harpoon Brewery, Clif Bars, and many more.
The ESOP Association is the only organization that advocates on behalf of all ESOP (Employee Owned) companies. Dedicated to education and expansion of Employee Ownership in general, and working with the Employee Ownership Foundation, The ESOP Association attracts more than 10,000 people annually to its 18 chapters & five national meetings — including the Employee-Owned Conference in Las Vegas, which is the largest ESOP event in the world.
TEA is a dynamic and forward leaning organization that has been experiencing a significant refresh and dramatic increase in interest and activity. In 2020 we opened new offices at the International Employee Ownership Center in Washington, DC that includes our own in-house digital production studio and post-production editing suite. Our high caliber staff includes former national political party leaders, congressional chiefs of staff, senior White House officials, and recognized event and communications specialists. We are looking for other dynamic and forward leaning professionals ready to roll up their sleeves and bring their talents to our impactful, mission-driven organization.
- Drafts and executes marketing plans for national events, to include 2 national conferences, Professionals’ Forum, the CEO Summit, and the annual ESOPATHON fundraising event – specifically including online ads, social media, print, email, and paid digital efforts.
- Creates and maintains marketing calendar for TEA and EOF efforts.
- Administers and grows social media presence – drafts, posts, promotes and manages all aspects of TEA and EOF social media.
- Provides regular social media reporting that tracks reach, subscribers, growth, and other metrics to help determine overall success and areas of growth and/or improvement.
- Administers TEA’s HUB network including updates, content monitoring, posting new content, monitoring for policy violations
- Supports TEA chapter team marketing plans for chapter and regional events.
- Supports TEA membership department team in marketing its offerings and services.
- Markets TEA webinars via digital ads, social media, email, and other methods.
- Markets member programs, such as TEA’s annual AACE awards and Edmunson scholarships.
- Promotes TEA affinity programs (health insurance captive, pharmacy benefit, workers’ comp, etc.)
- Assists in securing and managing certain conference speakers/presenters (invites, follow up, marketing, day of support, etc.)
- Helps fulfill event sponsor needs – executes social media, ESOP Report, other promised communications per event sponsorship levels.
- Provides regular, detailed marketing activity reporting including targeting, reach, success for the various efforts.
- Creates, sends, and summarizes post-event surveys for conferences, events, and other offerings.
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Desired Skills:
- Substantial experience with a wide variety of social media platforms, including how to manage, grow, measure and report various metrics.
- Substantial experience with accessing and interpreting data analytics (e.g. Google Analytics).
- Experience with email marketing system (e.g. Campaign Monitor, Constant Contact, etc.)
- Experience with post-event survey and market research (e.g. Survey Monkey).
- Excellent writing and editing skills that include attention to detail, professionalism, and the ability to simplify complex ideas.
- Excellent understanding of marketing and sales efforts.
- Desire to be part of a small proactive team that highly values collaboration.
Attributes of the Manager of Marketing Services
- Project manager. You can juggle multiple tasks, allocate & optimize resources, & manage timelines. You enjoy creating & implementing processes & procedures that uphold rigorous standards. You manage a task from start to finish.
- Collaborative. You work well with colleagues & members, understanding their concerns & realistically managing their expectations – you build trust & rapport across all levels of the organization. You give respect; you earn yours. You are grounded in our organizational values of sharing information & working cooperatively.
- Ownership. You succeed in a team environment, work well independently, & carry your weight, learning from others & contributing in equal measure.
- Exceptional communicator. You are known for your poise, tact, & diplomacy. You are comfortable in a professional but fun work environment & can confidently engage at all levels & across multiple stakeholder groups. You collaborate on projects & communicate results, & you are willing to listen & learn from others.
- Cool under pressure. You do your best work when the pressure is highest. You grow more controlled & confident in your abilities to solve problems the more problems arise.
- Service drive. You set the standard for meeting & exceeding expectations. You are responsive & committed. You are clear, tactful, & diplomatic about what’s realistic & what’s possible.
- Strong initiative & judgment. You have good judgment & a thoughtful approach. You are sensitive to the challenges, goals, & varying needs of all stakeholders.
TEA is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit & business need. We are currently a hybrid work environment and have returned to the brand-new International Employee Ownership Center offices of The ESOP Association, located on Capitol Hill. TEA offers a competitive salary & benefits package. Interested individuals should forward a cover letter, relevant work samples & resume to email@example.com. TEA is currently hiring in multiple areas, so please include a reference to the position in the subject line.